Marikina Ka-Angan Festival 2014
Ka-angkan is the Feast of Clans being celebrated during the Cityhood Anniversary of Marikina. The feast is being celebrated as a tribute to the native residents of the city since they were the ones who formed the community and shaped the city’s own culture and tradition.
What are the activities during the Ka-Angkan Festival? Well, according to Marikienyo:
The day starts with the gathering of Marikeños for a parade of clans. Each clan has their own colors and unique banners or pennants that proclaim the nicknames bestowed on their clan. Clan nicknames are given based on the clan’s way of life, or prominent traits and behavior seen in most clan members. The multi-clan Marikeños would proudly march with their kin and wave their banners in a parade accompanied by festive music from drums and bugles of local marching bands. Some clan members would show off their stunts during the parade adding pizzaz to the event. It is usually followed by a program which educates the youngsters on the origin of the clan and their nicknames and serves as a showcase of Marikeño clans’ talent.
As of posting time, the City Government of Marikina has not yet published the program for this festival.
UPDATE: April 21, 2014
Here are the events during the Ka-Angkan Festival (source: Marikenya.com)
- April 22: tree-planting activity at the Marikina River Park
- April 23: lecture onthe importance of family relations at the Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina
- April 24: piknikan sa Ilog (picnic at the river)
- April 25: Amazing Race at the different historical sites in the city
- April 26: Clans parade (from Barangay Barangka to Marikina River Park Roman Garden)
The angkans (clans) have put up a photo exhibit at the Marikina City Hall quadrangle (ground floor) for public viewing.